Local Water Profiles / Profils des eaux locales

Does anyone have up-to-date information on the water profiles in and around Montreal? If, please add your information in this thread.

I’ve attached the free-version of the Brun-Water spreadsheet that I filled in with information I was able to gather a couple years ago for the Plateau area of Montreal. Caveat: I don’t know how good or current this information is, but it was what I had gathered at the time and have been using intermittently with what I perceive as good results (I don’t always adjust my water, but when I do, I’ve not ever been displeased). If anyone sees any major errors, please point them out for both me and anyone else that may try to use this.

Quelqu’un a-t-il des informations à jour sur les profils de l’eau dans les environs de Montréal ? Si oui, veuillez ajouter vos informations dans ce fil de discussion.

J’ai joint la version gratuite du tableur Brun-Water que j’ai rempli avec les informations que j’ai pu rassembler il y a quelques années pour le Plateau de Montréal. Mise en garde : je ne sais pas si ces informations sont bonnes ou actuelles, mais c’est ce que j’avais recueilli à l’époque et que j’utilise par intermittence avec ce que je perçois comme de bons résultats (je n’ajuste pas toujours mon eau, mais quand je le fais, je n’ai jamais été mécontent). Si quelqu’un voit des erreurs importantes, veuillez les signaler à la fois pour moi et pour toute autre personne qui pourrait essayer de l’utiliser.

Brun Water 1.xlsm (373.9 KB)

Water Profiles / Profils des eaux :
Francais
English
Zone : Map

Voici les rapports sur la qualité de l’eau potable sur l’ile de Montreal:

Francais

English

Seulement 1 des 5 rapports affichent plus de détails, ex. Alcalinité, Dureté Totale.

Il reste à trouver l’usine par quartiers.

Oui, il faut consulter celui-ci:2019_rapport_annuel_mtl_mont-royal_mtl_ouest.pdf (119.2 KB)

It’s strange that they have a 2019 report for “MONTRÉAL (X0008084), MONTRÉAL-
OUEST (X0008899) ET VILLE MONT-ROYAL (X000892)” but don’t list it in the “Annual reports (for the Atwater and des Baillets plant)” section.

If the values in that 2019 are correct for the Atwater & Baillets plants in general the values in the Bru’n Water spreadsheet are just slightly off.

I think it’s the same thing

@ericpare The map that Sam linked in the first post shows you which plant treats your water.

For the “Bicarbonate (ppm)” value in Bru’n Water and “Bicarbonate (HC03)” value in Beersmith - is this the correct formula?

HCO3 (ppm) = Alkalinity as CaCO3 / 50 * 61

From http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/understanding-the-mash-ph/reading-a-water-report

In that case the 2016 value would be 109.8 and the 2019 value 107.36.

1 Like

Yes, I did it. I’m a mod :). I want to have all the useful infos in the first post. That avoid scrolling multiple pagse to find what you are looking for.

Gotcha. We need a wiki. :slight_smile:

Have not done much in the way of water chemistry yet as a homebrewer, but looking to get into it. My concern is that the levels on the report do not accurately represent what’s actually coming out of my tap. Is there anywhere people have sent a sample for testing?

I used Ward Labs in the US. It was pretty easy for me to fill a bottle from my well and send it to them. I had results a few days later via email.

If you live in the Greater Montreal area, you can rest assured that Montreal has great brewing water for ales and you don’t really need to do very much to it.

If you want to start brewing classic styles and recreating water, you should probably start with R.O. or distilled water and building up from there.

Denis

Thanks for the advice. Also considered about possible lead in my pipes and what any lead filtration would be removing on the side. Maybe r.o. or distilled water is the way to go

As far as I know, an activated charcoal filter would do the trick. But getting your water tested from Ward Labs, or another service would be good to do.

FWIW, my water report doesn’t show any lead but did show me this:
pH 7.9

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 282

Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.47

Cations / Anions, me/L 5.2 / 5.3

ppm

Sodium, Na 24

Potassium, K 2

Calcium, Ca 49

Magnesium, Mg 19

Total Hardness, CaCO3 202

Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)

Sulfate, SO4-S 10

Chloride, Cl 3

Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0

Bicarbonate, HCO3 283

Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 234

Total Phosphorus, P < 0.01

Total Iron, Fe 0.09

Denis,
This is your Ontario well water report, not your city water when you were still on the island, correct?

I’m no expert on water profiles, but as far as I can tell, the city reports are accurate enough that the variation will be minimal from season to season and year to year. You should be able to use it and adjust your water profile accurately enough for homebrewing purposes. I’m open to being contradicted if anyone else knows that I’m taking too many liberties with the subject.

Kurt

YES! Well water… hence the high level of bicarbonates.

When I lived in Dorval, I had several Montreal city reports from various years and you’re right, the changes are minimal and can be pretty much ignored.

Also, keep in mind that all the water plants in Montreal get their water from the St Lawrence River, so even though there are differences depending on which water treatment plant your report comes from, the basic mineral ions important to brewing are not going to change that much.

Denis

@Pig_Champion
Where is you water coming from?

City of Montreal (hochelaga) but I recall some time last year leaflets going around about the possibility of lead pipes. I live in an old building, and wish I had payed more attention to any further documentation. I know there’s been plenty of construction in the area (MTL lol) so maybe it’s been rectified but I’m curious of what’s actually coming out my sink

Like I said, if he’s on the island of Montreal, his water is coming from the St Lawrence River. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The lead pipes wouldn’t be the city’s but the building you’re in. I personally wouldn’t really worry about it unless you drink 10 pints of beer a day, every day!

Regardless, a water analysis is available and you should go for it just for peace of mind.

Denis

2 Likes