Échange Calendrier de l’Avent/Advent calender bottle swap

J’étais parti pour la fin de semaine, incapable d’apporter mon calendrier avec moi. Je me rattrape donc un peu ce soir.

10 décembre : Grisette d’@Albert

Belle effervescence et mousse persistante. Au nez, c’est clou de girofle, épices belges, levuré, poivron vert (?) - vraiment invitant. En bouche, c’est un peu rond, mais l’effervescence apporte une légèreté. On goûte bien le clou de girofle. La finale est plutôt amère, terreuse et un brin florale (houblon noble). Je m’attendais à moins amer (je me sens en territoire presque WCIPA) sinon la bière était très rafraichissante et l’arôme était sublime.

11 décembre : Late Oktober Märzen de @JamesKirk

James fournit toujours des étiquettes informatives et j’apprécie, surtout quand la bière est délicieuse comme celle-ci. Ça se peut que je garde la recette :wink: .

Superbe couleur cuivre et clarté impeccable. Mousse timide fournie par une effervescence moyenne-faible. Au nez, c’est malté et un brin sucré. Pain grillé aussi. En bouche, c’est rafraichissant malgré l’approche maltée et un brin caramel qui disparait rapidement. Profile très propre côté levure (merci W34/70!). Ça se boirait probablement bien dans un gros stein !

Ta bière est très savoureuse @Norm !
Elle passe très bien après une longue journée de travail :upside_down_face:

Thanks for this Norm. Tons of rich, bready flavours in here and a solid bitterness. My bottle poured a ton of foam but the mouthfeel isn’t over-carbed. Love the label too. Cheers.

Exactement. Bravo @Norm

J’ai comparé à la description bjcp et je pense qu’elle aurait bien scoré.

La mienne était adéquatement gazéifiée.

L’arôme est très agréable, et elle goûte ce qu’elle sent. Malt torréfié, esters fruités mais légers, froment.
Amertume retenue.

J’en aurais pris une pinte…

The bottle’s label says Best Bitter but the calendar has Strong Bitter - which one were you aiming for?

It’s in between but after tasting it together before sending it to the invitational, we agreed on Best Bitter and it got a good score

1 Like

Enjoying @JamesKirk’s Märzen tonight. I’m not a big fan of lagers, but this is very tasty. The honey malt stood out for me, along with a nice floral punch from the late saaz hopping. Cheers!

Oh man, I’ve got a lot of catching up to do…

1. @vicepresident Tastes like someone filled their mouth with onions, gargled a Bud Light, spit it back in the bottle*, then left it in the sun.**

2. @PatLalonde Saison - Absolutely delicious, light, refreshing. I get Marc’s lemony note as well, and I think it plays really nice in a saison. Similar to others, I am jealous of the canner, but I’m curious - Where do you store the cans? How many do you have to order at one time?

3. @LucLeStout Milkless Stout - Was not allowed to drink this one by myself. My wife’s feedback was “It’s delicious!”. And naturally I agree. Super smooth, nice roasty character, just enough chocolate to bring the sweetness even without the lactose.

4. @ericpare Banana Bread - I’m on board with what most have said… I love the malt flavors that come through. I too would have guessed some Munich, but given your malt description, I am on the lookout for more DRC (just made an order at Mout, and was told they didn’t have it in stock). I got the banana mostly in the nose, but it was just the right amount for me.

1. My own. I like to think of my role in the presidency as the modern day beer-Santa. I’m making a list of naughty and nice people reviewing my beers. Kind people get rewarded, and the others… well just know that you are being watched.
    But to speak of the beer itself… I would agree it doesn’t really fit the “Single” style all that well, but I really liked it as an easy sipper. The recipe was a touski (learned that term here!) from the Beau’s IronBrewer box. The original kegged beer came out pretty un-belgian (mostly malty with very little yeast character from the BE-256, IMO), so I popped it with some Citiva, Kohatu, and Cashmere in the keg, and I really liked it as a low ABV, hoppy beer. It seems the hoppiness didn’t make it through the bottling process. For that I am sad, and will do better next time.
    Also, I definitely made tuna sandwiches the week of bottling, but I don’t think any got in bottles. I trust that Luc’s nose is so honed-in that he smelled the tuna in the air, and I am impressed.

2. @Albert Crime of the Century Grisette - Another great easy drinker. I love saisons and grisettes. I love hops. I think this did a really nice job of putting them together in a beer I would drink a lot of.

3. @JamesKirk Late October - This was a really nice amber lager. Nice maltiness, but still super drinkable and balanced. Am I the only one that thinks he/you snuck some spruce tips in there and didn’t put it on the label?

4. @alexbelisle1980 Imperial Stout - Wow. I think I enjoyed this one too much. Super nice malty depth that hid the alcohol well. This is a great beer for sipping over a long night watching the snow fall.

.* It could have also been stored a bit in a winter tire before re-bottling

**In reality, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful flavors that held up well and at a hazy level that I enjoy (not too thick like drinking soup).

2 Likes

Haha man, your post made me laugh. good stuff.

Similar to others, I am jealous of the canner, but I’m curious - Where do you store the cans? How many do you have to order at one time?

getting cans is a pain in the ***. Supplier don’t do small order for homebrewer. You got to get a pallet.
Initially got some in the US from morebeer while ordering the canner, then a place in Chambly but they stop selling small quantity. At some point I was out of option and reach out to Drew from Kanawake Brewing. He sold me some, thanks to him. People there are super nice and friendly.

500 cans at a time stored in my garage.

16. La Mère Anglaise by @Norm
Même chose que Marc, il avait beaucoup de foam à verser la bière mais elle n’était overcarb. Sa faite en sorte qu’il avait beaucoup de levure en suspension donc le goût était un peu bizarre initialement. Cependant une fois un peu décantée, comme les autres on mentionnés beaucoup de saveur, bonne amertume, bonne bière!

17. Paulgaarden by @kurthoughton
I really enjoyed this one, aroma was inviting and the beer was refreshing!
It also reminds me I need to brew a wit one of these days… :sweat_smile:

1 Like
  1. La Mère Anglaise : No off flavours. Very malty taste, just enough bitterness to balance. Great long lasting head and lacing. Very clear, nice colour. No hop aroma. Great beer.
    DenisG

Kurt, your wit is excellent, thanks for sharing. A lot of spice and orange, it’s almost Christmassy. Who’s Paul? :slight_smile:

17. Paulgaarden @kurthoughton well done! Spicy beer, right on style, j’ai vraiment enjoyé!

Délicieuse Paulgaarden de @kurthoughton ce soir. Belle rondeur et richesse en bouche. Saveurs légèrement épicées et peut-être même de noix de coco (?!). Houblon Sabro? Noix de coco en secondaire ? En tout cas, c’était très apprécié.

J’ai aussi bien apprécié la subtile étiquette et le format de bouteille (stubby FTW!).

12 - @alexbelisle1980 Imperial Stout is delicious. Malty, sweet but not too much, balanced nicely with the roasty bitterness. Getting better and better as it warms up.

More brews to come.

Thanks for the feedback on my Wit. I’ve made this beer 3-4 times and haven’t changed the recipe much from the first iteration. The orange flavor is from orange zest soaked in vodka (25g in 2oz or so for a 10gal batch) for a week or so, then tossed in the fermenter after primary.
Any recommendations to improve it are welcome.
Question, is the carbonation ok? I’ve been fighting with my beer gun and have found some beers to be losing carbonation after bottling.

1 Like

@Norm Pas de noix de coco dans la recette. Je suis bien content que tu l’as apprécié!
J’ai également aimée ta biere. Un peu plus robuste de ce que j’attendais d’un best bitter, mais ça a été expliqué par Eric plus tôt. Est-ce que je suis le seule à gouter du tabac? En tout cas, une bière bien malté, balancé et facile à boire. Merci!

@MarcGuay Paul’s a friend (shameless plug www.paulcargnello.com) who loves Hoeegarden, so I decided to brew him a wit when we were celebrating his 40th birthday a few years back.

1 Like

La blanche de @kurthoughton . Agrumé, épicé. J’ai bien aimé. Avoir eu ca en plein été, j’en aurais bu 3-4!

Merci

Thanks for the delicious Dopplebock, Patrick S! The can design is nice too.

@Patrick, ton doppelbock est délicieux. Riche, malté, niveau de sucre résiduel balancé avec des saveurs de fruits séchés. Dure à battre. Je suis de plus en plus convaincu que je dois commencer à braser des lagers foncées. Cheers!

Doppelbock de @Patrick ce soir. Délicieuse bière très maltée, bien ronde et avec même une finale très légèrement fumée. Je ne sais pas si c’est voulu, mais ça s’introduit très bien.

Merci beaucoup d’avoir partagé ta réalisation et j’ai bien hâte d’essayer tes autres produits.

1 Like