February Bottle Exchange / Échange de bouteilles de février

Hey guys, I was able to get us 10 day trial of SampleOx to try out for giving feedback on beer. If you’re not familiar, SampleOx is a smart-device based app that has an integrated flavor map so you can just click around to describe the beer you’re tasting and have potential flavors presented for your consideration (e.g. I click Flavors>Fruity>Tropical, and it gives me options of Mango, Pineapple, Papaya, Banana, Lychee, etc… and then I just check the ones that apply). Your results are then compiled with everyone else’s to give a description of the beer, and you can compare your tasting notes to others/the average.

I’ve set up an event and added all the beers (I think). The join code for our event is

MEZA7

If I missed your beer or incorrectly identified it, let me know and I’ll add it or correct it. Some people submitted more than one type of beer, so you may not have all of them on the list. I did my best to make sure everyone got as many unique beers as possible and no one got their own beer back.

You are not at all obligated to use this for feedback, but I thought I’d throw it out there as an option and we could see if it’s something we want to use the in the future (or something we modify to suit our own needs).

Cheers!

Sam

Would be good to use on the competition debriefing and comparing notes with the “judges”. :wink:

I just rated Ricardo’s beer with the app. It’s easy to use and quite cool. Do you know if there is a way to add comments?

1 Like

Neat concept, looking forward to trying it!

Hey Kurt,

What’s the OG/FG of your Red Ale?

Unsure who’s beer this was as couldn’t find any NEPA in the SampleOx list:

But anywho, the beer was quite tasty.
Has a strong tropical, citrus & melon hop profile but nicely balanced.

Good stuff!

That is @danbarker 's Hazy Pale (and the same goes for Xavier’s question of the unmarked bottle). He gave me a keg of a split batch, and I bottled some off to include, but in my running around my labeling got sloppy (apologies), AND THEN I didn’t even remember what I had labeled it when I put in the names to the SampleOx.

TLDR: bottles labeled “S+D NEPA” are “Dan Hazy Pale” in SampleOx and it’s all my fault for confusion

3 Likes

I’m drinking a tasty garnet red beer with only the word ‘red’ written on the cap in marker. Is it Kurt’s or Luc’s?

That is Luc’s. Kurt’s have sticker labels on the caps

I had printed a little sheet for each bottle but they were only held on with a rubber band so some might have fallen out during transport/packaging.

Here’s the info for my Irish Red:
4.4% abv

Malts
90% 2 row
3.3% Caramel 120L
3.3% Caramel 40L
3.3% Roasted barley

Hops
14g Magnum 12% 60 minutes
14g EKG 4.4% 30 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (wort pitched directly on leftover yeast cake from Irish stout)

Thoughts
Color came out way darker than expected, would cut on roasted barley.
First time overpitching directly on yeast cake, off flavor was detectable initially but found it got better with time. Would be curious what members thoughts are on it.

Recette de ma American Brown (23 litres)

Malts - Mash @67c
3.5kg (71.8%) CMC Superior Pale Ale
0.5 kg (10.3%) Caramunich I
0.5 kg (10.3%) Innomalt M2
210 gr (4.3%) Double Roasted Crystal
130 gr (2.7%) Carafa Special II
30 gr (0.7%) Special W

Hops
25g Cascade 5.5% (15.3 IBU) 60 minutes
25g Cascade 5.5% (5.5 IBU) 10 minutes
25g Willamette 5.5% (5.5 IBU) 10 minutes

Yeast
Escarpment Labs Cali Ale
Fermenté à 19c

Regardez-moi ça, c’est tu pas beautiful?

4 Likes

Nice job, Eric! How did you make the labels? Do they come off easily?

Long ago when I used to bottle and label, I would “glue” the labels to the bottles with milk. It did a great job and it made it super easy to remove. :slight_smile:

I had a small saucer with a bit of milk in it. I would lay the label down in the milk then attach it to the bottle and smooth it out with a damp cloth.

Denis

C’est ce que j’ai fait pour mes étiquettes : petite couche de lait peinturée derrière le papier et hop, sur la bouteille. Ça fonctionne à merveille.

If I ever put a label on, I tend to use double sided tape

And for the labels themselves - simple injet printer?

This : https://www.beerlabelizer.com/

Printed with a laser printer and used milk as glue

In my case, yes.

I guess the ink would run if you tried the milk technique with inkjet-printed labels… Denis, no issues?