Calendrier de l’Avent 2022 / 2022 Advent calender bottle swap!

Nice work, Captain, I’m really enjoying the Citra on full blast. Love the sticker art as well - did you do it yourself?

Forgot to give a shoutout for living on the edge and packaging a NEIPA in green bottles!

Nice color, foam, and aroma. Love the rond texture.
I found the bitterness not to much, but still tickle a bit the tongue on the after taste. Lot of hop flavor. I find it interesting to taste a single hop. Well done on a difficult style, that’s a good NEIPA. Cool label. I got a 500ml lucky me!!

L’amerture y est, ca oui mais le bouquet toi, ca sent bon! Content d’avoir juste un 341 :slight_smile:

Another day, another tasty beer. Pours with a nice, glowing light orange sort of color, a couple fingers of creamy head leaves behind some speckled lacing. The aroma is mainly citrus, as one would expect. The flavor is also definitely all-Citra. Orange and some light malt sweetness. I actually really like that the flavor is pretty pithy. A nice rind-like bite to offset the rest of it. A sweet finish and a round-but-not-creamy body. I really liked it and if I had more than one I could/would definitely have a couple of them. I can’t decide whether I’m happier to have this tasty of an NEIPA in a bottle or that said bottle is a cute little stubby.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone. I’m so relieved that there doesn’t seem to be oxidation from bottling. For what it’s worth, I did add 1/2 a Campden tablet (sodium metabisulfite) to the 20L batch just prior, seems like it may have helped.

@MarcGuay - About the label graphics, it was actually AI-generated! I just experimented with slightly different prompts until I found something I liked. Kinda fun!

1 Like

Nice! I’m guilty of using AI “art” as well for some of my label. Great one by the way.

Here’s the label for today’s beer in case it fell off some bottles. This is in no way a suggestion that you drink it now.

Selection_345

Pre-noon old ale it is! Holiday decorating here we come!

Day 3! This is rich, round, warming and quite bitter. Well executed Marc! I wouldn’t have guest it was an extract brew if it wasn’t written. Perfect mid-day beer to sip on slowly while it rains outside.

I am now nicely decanting :wink:

1 Like

It was a dark and stormy night…when I opened a bottle of Marc’s Old Ale. It was great!

1 Like

Thanks guys. The hopshot certainly did it’s job at bittering! If anyone hasn’t used the stuff before, it’s very greasy/sticky so don’t bother trying to clean the syringe afterwards, and also extremely bitter so resist the urge to lick your fingers if you get any on your hands. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tucking into Marc’s old ale. Fairly clear dark mahogany with short-lived tan head. Sweet, spiced nose that reminds me of banana bread (though it doesn’t smell particularly banana-y). The flavor follows suit with kind of a spice cake thing going on, a bracing-but-not-intense hop bitterness and a little alcohol warmth. Honestly for such a “new” old ale I’m surprised it doesn’t taste boozier, so well-done.

Out of curiosity, @MarcGuay , is this by chance the Brewing Classic Styles recipe? It seems familiar and even the beer itself is damn close to when I made that recipe. Goes to show that either those are solid recipes or (if you got the recipe from elsewhere) that you hit close to the style. Cheers!

Thanks Jesse. I also picked up on a banana-but-not-Isoamyl-acetate nose and it is indeed the Old Treacle Mine recipe from Jamil Z!

1 Like

I sipped @MarcGuay s old ale throughout the afternoon, and am cracking into @JamesKirk s Citra NEIPA now…

Marc, this was a pleasure to drink. It was pretty intense on all fronts (malty, boozy, bitter), but balanced well. I think the treacle is doing some heavy lifting in the flavors and I like it. It made it a joy to sip on and come back to every time I passed my glass.

James, either I write too slow, or your beer is too good, or both. I poured myself half as I wrote the first part of this and it is already gone. It really reminds me of a sweet pink grapefruit. Sweetness to start, quickly taken over by citrus on the back of the tongue and the lasting flavor is pith bitterness, not harsh, but distinctly like pith in my mind. Really enjoyable to drink and keep coming back to.

Nice beers!

Vraiment cool de pouvoir servir une bière faite à maison d’une cannette. Merci, @PatLalonde !

Très noire, opaque, ça a l’air de huile d’un vieux moteur en la versant. Un peu de mousse qui ne dure pas longtemps. Légères arômes de café, chocolate et un tout petit peu “roasty”, loin d’être sharp/acrid par contre. Le goût est pas mal plus present que l’arôme à mon avis. Moins de café, plus de cocoa/chocolate au lait. Le côté sucrée du lactose est presque parfaite pour mes goûts. Assez pour que tu te rends comptes que c’est un Milk stout, mais clairement pas un pastry stout non plus. Ronde, sucrée reconfortante. Une bonne bière pour sortir les décorations de Noël!

1 Like

This is a really decadent drink, like a thick chocolate milkshake but it’s beer, yum! Thanks for sharing. I assumed there was no lactose based on the “sweet” and not “milk” in the name but it certainly tastes like there’s some in there.

1 Like

Oh, c’est doux ça. Rond, chocolaté et un brin sucrée. Parfaite pour finir la soirée.

1 Like

I had Pat’s Sweet Stout for dessert last night. Yummy.

Thanks for the comment !

I assumed there was no lactose based on the “sweet” and not “milk” in the name but it certainly tastes like there’s some in there.

There is a small amount of Lactose (7,5g per liter), I don’t like much lactose so I just wanted a hint of what it taste. I should have specified for those with allergies, oups! It typical to have lactose in a sweet stout, my previous version had none.

I did a deluted version because I found that the sweetness can be clogging. I think I still prefer the one you got, just in the right setting : in front of a good movie, chrismas tree light up. :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like