2022 Cowtown Yeast Wranglers Roundup

Pretty impressive!

1 Like

Way to go everybody. Maybe we need to chuck a few of these in the case next year?

J’ai envoyé une impérial stout et une dunkelweizen. Les deux sont un premier essais. À mon avis c’est de bonne bière, mais pas sa coche. Sans trop savoir quoi changer. J’étais pas dans un mode compétitif mais plus de feedback cette fois-ci !

Imperial stout : 36
More body, more roasted. J’approuve totalement, la impérial qu’on a fait pour le projet barrel est pas mal mieux sur ces deux aspects à comparer à la mienne.
More dark fruit caracter from yeast. Celle la m’embête… J’ai pris la Irish Ale 1084. Quoi faire, changer de levure…? Fermenter plus haut?

Dunkelweizen : 35
Une des deux bières à gelée.
More body, more malty character. Trop watery.

C’est un problème récurrent dans mes bières ; manque de malt flavor, et de body. Watery. Je crois arrêter de faire “Steep” les grains foncés et de masher généralement plus haut.
Avez-vous d’autres suggestions ? Merci !

Félicitations!

Ma amber ale a eu 39 pas de médaille !! Il y a du gros calibre dans cette catégorie .

2 Likes

Effectivement! Bravo à tous les gagnants. Les compétitions son pas mal plus compétitives de nos jours.

Denis

Tu voulais surement dire 22 “points”. Mais oui, 10 médailles sur 30 entrées, c’est très bien!

Ah c’est vrai j’avais mal lu.

En plein celle-là. J’avais jamais essayé ce style et j’ai adoré. D’ailleurs, il n’en reste plus…,

My beer didn’t do so good. 23 for a lager and 28 for a stout. They said the stout would have done better in another catagory. Oh well, at least no faults. First competition. Its nice to get the feedback. I need to get more body. I think I have to mash higher. I don’t think the temperature is reading correct in my robobrew. I have to get a thermometer into the middle of the mash and check next time.

Congrats to all the winners! From the scoring and comments on my score sheet I think the judging was fair and professional. I am happy with my result.

Same issue with the grainfather. Make sure you have a good flow to maintain the same temp at the top. I used to restrict the flow to avoid the wort going through the overflow pipe and the mash temp was always lower.

1 Like

Same here.
I’ve check the mash temp with a reliable temperature probe in the middle of the mash and its lower by a couple of point.

Latest brew i’ve adjustment temperature to +4 deg Fahrenheit, let see the results

1 Like

@ericpare , you let the wort overflow? I think I will try that next time.

Yes. There’s wort that go through the basket anyway and I still got the same efficiency.

1 Like

I’ve got the prizes! The Cowtown crew sent them all here, so if you won a medal, I have it, plus some extra swag.

1 Like

For those who won a coupon from WhiteLabs, send an e-mail to Anyaa (info@whitelabs.com) with a picture of the coupon (number), the strain that you want and your shipping address.

I did that because last time I won these coupon, Moût told me the WhiteLabs doesn’t reimburse them. They gave it to me anyway but still…

WLP800 (Pilsner lager) for me with a pound of Saaz that I bought recently… Guess what I will be brewing soon :slight_smile:

Update and a (not) funny story…

After a week, I asked for an update from White Labs. They gave me the tracking number and call to open a case. I looked at the tracking status… the package got stuck at Mirabel for 5+ days. wow… nice… FedEx knocked at my door today, brokerage fee of 30$ … (for a free product under 10$)… I refused it of course and I’m still in communication with white labs. I might just forget it.

I had zero problem with Imperial Yeast before christmas. FedEx intl delivery for 2 HB packs, took 2 days and 0 fee…

Hold on your coupon for now if you have one or check with Mout if they want to honor them.

That sucks. I’ve been burned a few times on brokerage fees with FedEx and UPS. I avoid using them as much as possible and always request USPS since Canada Post is much more reasonable.

Denis

1 Like

They resend a new pack and this time, I told them to add the mention that this is a gift and value 0$. I received it today, still cold. A 12x12x13 size box for a single yeast packet… What a waste.

1 Like