Oak Smoked Wheat

Does anyone have any recommendations on using the oak smoked wheat that was in the IronAler box a while back?

I’ve never been huge on smoke beers, but I got an itch the other day that something like a Schlenkerla Marzen would be nice to have on tap for the cold months.

Yeah, I made a Polish Grodziskie which is basically an international smoked pilsner. It wasn’t bad… like you, I’m not a big fan of smoked beers but this one was well received by several of my European friends. And since it was pretty low alcohol (3.5%), it was a nice refreshing summer drink. I called mine an American Grosziskie since I used Cascade hops in the steep/whirlpool.

I used 1kg each or White wheat, 2-row, smoked wheat and added 500g of 6-row, 200g of the Briess Special roast, 100g acidulated malt and 100g of toasted malt.

I bittered with QC Columbus aiming for 22IBU, then used Hersbrucker 15 min and Cascade to finish. I fermented with the WYeast German Ale yeast (1007).

It wasn’t too smokey and the special roast helped to give it a little bit of malt backbone to support the smoke.

Denis

I made a smoked porter with it. I’ve also made a smoked amber with it and that was also quite tasty, also great for cooking with. If it was Briess smoke malt, they have suggested % based on type of beer and amount of smoky taste you want in the final beer

Thanks for the feedback!

I think I’m still leaning toward the darker side because I’ve yet to personally taste a lighter smoked beer (grodziskie or otherwise) that I would want 5 gallons of. Tristan, would you be willing to share your smoked porter recipe?

I was mistaken on what smoked grain I used but I’ll post my recipe anyways. It was a 1 gal batch so I’ll just post in %. For the smoke, I went for what Briess recommended for their smoke malt for a dark beer so I would adjust depending on how smoky the smoked wheat is

61% 2 row
30% Cherrywood smoke (by recommendation from Briess)
5% Caramel 80L
3% chocolate malt
1% black patent

30 ibu bittering at 60
14 ibu of Golding at 15
us-05 yeast