iSpindle and Fermentrack

Count me in for 2. Thanks for doing that!

Manuel

1 Like

I’m interested in a group buy as well. Thanks

1 Like

Amazing. We’re up to 20 iSpindel kits so far.

I’m setting a tentative deadline of January 1st for people to join the group buy. I’ll eventually circulate a google spreadsheet to collect email addresses, etc.

1 Like

For us luddites, it might be a good idea to explain exactly what an iSpindel is and what you need to do to operate it.

I mean I understand that it uses buoyancy and the angle of the float to estimate the gravity of the wort/beer as well as calculating the temperature but otherwise, I have no clue? Do I need Internet access? Do I need to connect to it via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth? Does it keep a record on its own or do I need to pair with an app? Etc. etc.

Denis

Hey @kurthoughton great initiative! Since I ferment mostly in glass, I’ll have to skip out on the group buy. However, if anyone needs help with soldering tips, assembly, or other technical questions, I’ll be glad to help.

I would be interested to get 2 if the order is still open.

Je vais en prendre 2.

@DenisB My understanding of the iSpindel isn’t super advanced, the website describes it pretty succinctly:

An iSpindel is a digital hydrometer for measuring the specific gravity (or degrees Plato) of something you are fermenting. It connects to web services and uploads statistical information. The web service you connect the iSpindel to can graph the temperature and fermentation statistics without you having to physically disturb the fermenter. The iSpindel can work from inside a fridge or even a stainless steel fermenter.

I’ll still be verifying the results with periodic hydrometer readings, but this seems like a fun way to see in real time how the yeast are managing their work of turning wort into beer.

So I do need Internet access since it connects to web services. :frowning:

My brewery is out in the barn where I don’t have Internet.

Denis

Maybe the club could be interested in get a few iSpindels while we’re there, as future prizes for contests…

@DenisB or you could set up a local wireless network in your barn to get access to the data. You’ll just need a Raspberry Pi and a WiFi router in addition to the iSpindel.

I’d also take 2. I’d just take the parts, and build them myself. Also, happy holidays everyone!

Hey Chris!

Glad to hear it. You’ve just bumped the group buy up to 25 units!

In principle, we’re all going to receive bits & pieces for the build and it’s up to each of us to figure out how to assemble them. A few of us are a little more technically inclined (not me) and if willing, can assemble an extra iSpindel for another member that lacks the tools.

Anyone else interested? The next step is 30 units.

Cheers & happy holidays everyone!

Kurt

Yes, count me in for two as well! Thanks!
-James

Im in for 2 if there’s still space!

You did mention it doesn’t fit through a glass carboy neck right?

@JamesKirk & @danbarker, you’ve bumped us to 29 units! The group buy is still open until at least the 1st of January.

@vicepresident I think you’re right, it won’t fit through the neck of a carboy, or if it does, you risk never getting it out!

I was wondering about using it while I’m sparging to keep an eye on my target gravity. Anyone know what the temperature rating of the housing or components might be?

It is unlijely to be any good in moving water, I would think…

Hey @kurthoughton, I’m not sure how many you have me down for (I replied above, but very vaguely). Count me for 3

Recent additions and precisions accounted for, we’ve now hit 31 units.
Ideally we would hit 35 units. Anybody want to add themselves to the buy or up your order?

Kurt