Any Interest in Beaus + MoB 2021 Oktoberfest "Mystery Box" Iron Brewer Competition?

All gone. Omw chez Sam

That’s fine. I’ll pick up in villeray

Cheers,

Glen

I have 10 boxes at my place waiting for brewers!

Message des organisateurs:

Hello Everyone!

Thanks so much for participating in this year’s competition. We have sold out all the boxes! That is awesome because 100% of the entry fees are going to Hidden Harvest (https://ottawa.hiddenharvest.ca/). By now many of you have already received your Mystery Box. If you haven’t already, you should make arrangements to pick it up because the deadline is fast approaching. Those of you who know what’s in the box have started to ask questions and there are other yet unanswered questions, so the rest of this message will be in the form of an FAQ.

Q: Can I make a yeast starter?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I use a little acid to adjust pH?

A: Yes, to adjust pH but not to sour the beer.

Q: Can I roast the cacao nibs?

A: No, roasting any ingredients is not permitted.

Q: Can I use a decoction mash and/or kettle caramelization?

A: Yes, those techniques are permitted since they’re not altering the starting ingredients.

Q: How do I submit my beer?

A: You will need to provide 6 bottles to your neighbourhood hub before the deadline. The bottles are to be unlabeled and not uniquely distinguishable (e.g., do not use caps with USA flags on them). We will give instructions later for you to put a number on the box/carrier that you use to contain your bottles. (You will have to supply that, so if you buy a 6 pack of beer in the near future, you might want to refrain from recycling it.)

Q: Do I need to brew to a style?

A: No, but near the exchange time, we will invite you to assign some style or other description to your entry.

Q: What’s the grand prize?

A: A Beau’s Oktoberfest VIP Experience for the lucky winner and a plus one.

Q: What’s the deadline for entries?

A: December 12, 2021.

Happy brewing everyone!

Cheers,

Alex, Ian, and Andrew

I don’t think this will ruin any surprises for people who haven’t opened their boxes yet: Can someone tell me the weight of the bag of 2-row? I don’t have a scale handy that can manage it.

I haven’t measured it myself, but I believe someone last night said 6kg, which matches my guess

3 Likes

My scale says 13 lbs

2 Likes

Missed this. @President can I swing by sometime this week and pick up my box?

Absolutely. I’m around most times and can leave it on the porch if I’m not. Let me know when you’re heading my way and it will be ready for you.

Are we allowed to bottle condition with dextrose?

I asked Alex about bottle conditioning with sugar and he said that it is allowed.

thanks Terry

Can these be dropped off at the same places as the advent swap beers? Mine are both bottled and carbing up - I assume they can be stored at room temp by whoever collects them…

Oh and there was a note about putting a label on the box with the bottles in it, any more details about that?

Hi Marc,

We are still finalizing the logistics of this (including the labeling), but the swap will occur in Ottawa. If you are willing to make the trip out to the swap, that would be great. We still haven’t finalized that date yet either, however.

Cheers,
Alex

I was just about to email Alex Sheftel to ask about that! :slight_smile:

@MarcGuay Yes, you can drop your advent swap beers and your Beau’s Comp beers at the same place (officer’s houses) and we’ll make sure they get to the right spot

That is unless you drop them all off in Ottawa. If that’s the case, you’ll have missed the exchange deadline and Alex will be forced to drink all of your beers and not be obligated to give you any back in return.

Ha. Since we don’t know about the labels yet, should I just put a sticker with my name on it on the 6-pack and someone will add the proper labelling when that info’s available, or does that ruin the anonimity?

You will be given a number to put on your 6-pack (not on the bottles!). If you need to do that now, you can use your name and we will exchange it for the number for you.

Your bottles will be given a judging label later, so there is no need for anonymity.

2 Likes

Hey @Alex_Sheftel I’ll be in Ottawa for a few days this week. Would it be possible to drop off my 6 pack?

Sure! You can drop it off at my place. Send me an email: asheft a gmail.com.