Ale Pitching Temp

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding pitching temperature. I forgot to check my immersion chiller today and when I came back to my kettle, the temperature was at 13 celsius.

I pitched a pack of dry Verdant IPA anyways. Is it okay to pitch at a low temperature and let it rise to my fermentation temp (18 celsius) or next time I should wait for my wort to be at my fermentation target?

Thanks!

I don’t see any problem with it, it will get up to 18C pretty quick and I don’t think 13C is low enough to kill anything.

2 Likes

It might stress the yeast which can lead to off flavor and slow start.
I would rater let it warm a bit before pitching.

But there is probably no problem at all, it’s just to be extra carefull.

2 Likes

I would expect it to lead to less yeast character as the fermentation will start at a lower temp than usual. Some reading a long time ago indicated that a lot yeast flavours are created at the beginning of fermentation. If it’s an IPA, you probably weren’t looking for a lot of yeast based flavours anyway.

2 Likes

So I was recently wondering (as I’m fermenting an IPL currently) if long lag times would lead to oxidation effects. It makes sense, if the wort is properly aerated, that oxidizing compounds would be sitting around an oxygen-rich environment for potentially a few days before fermentation picks up… Any thoughts/experience on this?

“Yeast” Chris White and Jamil Z says the oxygen uptake usually happens in the first 30 mins (page 23). I would guess this be true for lager and the growth is just what takes long.

1 Like

Interesting, I would have never guessed it would be that fast! Thanks for that bit of info.