2021 MontreAlers Ale and Lager Throwdown (M.A.L.T.)

[English below]

Bonjour à tous -

C’est avec grand plaisir que nous annonçons officiellement que le M.A.L.T. est de retour ! Le MontreAlers Ale and Lager Throwdown (M.A.L.T.) 2021 est une compétition de style BJCP du club qui a eu lieu pour la dernière fois en 2015. Tous les détails, ainsi que l’inscription, sont disponibles sur montrealers.ca/malt/.

Informations clés

• Ce concours servira de qualification régionale pour le concours du Brasseur canadien de l’année (BOTY) 2021. Les 3 premiers brasseurs, déterminés par le nombre de points obtenus en remportant des médailles dans les sous-catégories (or=3, argent=2, bronze=1), se mesureront aux brasseurs des autres qualifications régionales pour déterminer le BOTY canadien.

• En tant que qualification régionale, cette compétition est uniquement ouverte aux membres du club de brassage MontreAlers et/ou aux résidents du Québec.

• Le BOTY du Club MontreAlers sera également couronné lors de cette compétition, le titre étant attribué au brasseur membre des MontreAlers qui aura récolté le plus de points dans les sous-catégories et lors de la ronde du Best of Show.

• En raison du nombre limité de juges certifiés BJCP dans notre région, nous limitons la compétition à 150 entrées au total, et 3 par brasseur pour commencer. Alors inscrivez-vous rapidement et affinez vos meilleures bières ! * Pour accroître l’intérêt et, nous l’espérons, augmenter le nombre de juges pour les futures compétitions, nous lançons également un groupe d’étude BJCP. Les détails suivront dans une communication ultérieure.

Bonne brasse !

Le comité exécutif des MontreAlers

P.S. Pour ceux qui craignent que cette compétition remplace le IronAler, je vous assure que ce ne sera pas le cas. Nous prévoyons d’organiser à nouveau une compétition Ironaler dès que les conditions de santé publique le permettront.

Hello All -

It is with great pleasure that we can officially announce that M.A.L.T. is back! The 2021 MontreAlers Ale and Lager Throwdown (M.A.L.T.) is the return of the club’s BJCP-style competition last held in 2015. All of the nitty gritty details, as well as registration can be found at montrealers.ca/malt/

Key notes

• This will be the regional qualifier for the 2021 Canadian Brewer of the Year (BOTY) competition. The top 3 brewers, determined by the number of points earned by winning medals in subcategories (gold=3, silver=2, bronze=1), will move on to compete against brewers from other regional qualifiers to determine the Canadian BOTY
  • As the regional qualifier, this competition is only open to members of the MontreAlers homebrew club and/or residents of Quebec
  • The MontreAlers Club BOTY will also be crowned from this competition, with the title given to the club member who collects the most points from subcategories and the Best of Show round.
  • Due to the limited number of BJCP certified judges in our region, we are capping the competition to 150 total entries, and 3 per brewer to start, so sign up early and hone in your best beers!
  • To increase awareness and hopefully increase the number of judges for future competitions, we are also launching a BJCP study group. Details to follow in another post/email

Happy brewing!

The MontreAlers Executive Committee

P.S. For those worried about this replacing IronAler, I assure you it will not. We are planning to pick that back up as well as soon as health restrictions allow.

3 Likes

Can entries be edited after they’ve been paid for? I’d like to reserve a spot but I’m not sure which beer I’ll submit yet.

Yes. You can edit your entries (name/style). Just make sure you print the right label :slight_smile:

Nice, thanks!

J’ai remarqué que l’annonce a été fait au public, est-ce qu’on pourrait le faire sur la page facebook de Nanobrasseurs (à moins que ca déjà été fait et que je l’ai manqué)?

At this point, I think it can be posted anywhere. We wanted to wait a bit to make sure that members had first crack at getting signed up, but I think we have allowed enough time for that. Feel free to share away!

C’est fait !

1 Like

Salut MontreAlers,

English below

Il est encore temps de vous inscrire à la compétition M.A.L.T 2021, n’attendez plus! La limite d’inscriptions vient d’être augmentée à 5 par participants! Donc n’hésitez pas à rajouter vos dernières créations et ainsi augmenter vos chances de remporter les honneurs! Un rappel également de confirmer vos inscriptions en procédant au paiement sur le site de la compétition: MontreAlers Ale and Lager Throwdown (M.A.L.T.) - Brew Competition Online Entry & Management

There is still time to register for the M.A.L.T 2021 competition, don’t wait! The entries limit has just been increased to 5 per participant! So don’t hesitate to add your latest creations and increase your chances to win the honors! A reminder also to confirm your entries by proceeding to the payment on the competition website: MontreAlers Ale and Lager Throwdown (M.A.L.T.) - Brew Competition Online Entry & Management

Cheers

3 Likes

I noticed when I went to print my labels that it says “Use clear packing tape to attach to the barrel of each bottle. Cover the label completely!”. I hate packing tape since it’s a pain to remove from the bottles. I know I’m not getting them back but it’s the principle that hurts me. Is there a reason not to use the ziplock+elastic method?

Good point. I’m guessing it’s less trouble since the bottles has to be sent to the judges individually instead of a single jugging location.

Serais-t-il un bon moment pour faire un dernier rappel sur les réseaux sociaux ?

It in case there’s a leak, or broken bottle, etc. At least the label will still be readable. Or at least, that’s my guess.

Denis

1 Like

Denis, putting the label in a plastic baggie and attaching it with an elastic serves the same purpose (this is the method other comps I’ve entered have used).

Eric, I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

1 Like

less trouble for Sam to split them for each judges and not messing with the falling label off the rubber band. just a guess…

Righto - they’re definitely not as securely attached. Anyway, no big deal either way.

About that. The club is looking for members willing to help sorting and packaging the entries during the labor day weekend (one day) Any volunteer? Please contact Sam or myself.

A propos de cela. Le club recherche des membres prêts à aider à trier et emballer les bouteilles pendant le week-end de la fête du travail (une journée) Des volontaires ? Veuillez contacter Sam ou moi-même.

Merci!

I agree to that.

Just to make sure, it’s 3 bottles per entry right?

1 Like

Je suis volontaire et je l’ai indiqué dans mon profil:

Juste me dire quelle journée par contre