2022 Barrel aged beer - Members Collab

Je viens de commencer mon premier mash. Bien hâte de voir comment la journée va se dérouler!

Finished yesterday with 44L in the fermenter at 1.098. A little lower than anticipated but close enough. It’s bubbling away already at 17.5C.

1 Like

Well… I missed my number by far. Got a stuck mash and I was not able to proper sparge the second mash with my Grainfather… I should have use the Mash King cooler. I got an O.G. of 1.090 and I boiled for 2 hours. I couldn’t boil longer because I brew during the evening. At least, I used yeast nutriment and oxygenate with pure oxygen… Big beer is not for me. I’m always having issue brewing that.

Je viens de terminer. Je suis à 1.102 au lieu de 1.108 OG.

1 Like

On a gardé la petite fille de la voisine pendant ma brasse et elle disait que ça sentait les croquettes pour chat. En espérant que le résultat fermenté soit plus inspirant :rofl:!

Je dois avoir de la misère avec mon réfractomètre (moût chaud) parce que je pensais être dans les spécifications jusqu’à ce que je mesure la densité finale avec mon densimètre (moût à 20°C). J’ai fini par ajouter un peu de DME pour avoir une densité initiale de 1.093. J’ai 6 litres de plus que prévu (36 litres total) donc je me ferai des bouteilles non vieillies pour comparaison.

Après 36 heures ça fermente violemment ! Tube de débordement obligatoire.

2 Likes

Do we know the type of wood used in the barrel? I’m still scheming to brew my own version with oak chips or a spiral.

I brewed mine last week using a 65% efficiency from past Imperial Stout results. To my surprise I actually achieved a 77% efficiency and overshot the OG at 1.116. Looks like my beer will be compensating some alcohol for some of you folks :man_shrugging:

Fermentation started strong, but has slowed a bit. Will take awhile to reach final attenuation.

3 Likes

55% attenuation. Ca va etre sucré ce jus là :slight_smile:. J’ai 71.5% d’attenuation pour 8.9% abv. (1.090 à 1.023)

I would expect American white oak if we manage to get a bourbon barrel.

In confirming this, I came across this article which suggests oak barrels will be harder to come by in the not so distant future:

Ah, I missed a post, I thought the rum barrel was a go.

Still fermenting happily. For the first week it was at 16C. Slowly ramping it up to 18C.

I also brewed this weekend, and ended up low at 0.090 pre-boil. With a 3-hour boil and a top-off of DME wort, I ended up at 1.104 - not too bad! Glad I’m not the only one who “cheated” with DME.

I did another partigyle brew, too, and look forward to drinking some Irish Stout while we wait for the stuff in the barrel!

Same! 6.5 liters 2.5% abv (1.032 - 1.013)

Oh man, I had even done an extra sparge and collected 5 gallons of 1.040 wort but just couldn’t bring myself to start another boil after I had finally finished the first. It’s such a long brew day already. If I had planned a little more in advance I could have anticipated the hops additions & yeast I would have needed.
sigh. Next time.

2 Likes

Could you have preserved the wort somehow and boiled another time?

Probably. I wondered if it would start to sour if I didn’t boil it or at least pasteurize it that night.

In retrospect, I could have boiled it, bottled it and kept it for making starters.

1 Like

It would have absolutely soured had you not pasteurized it.

I used to keep wort like that frozen for making starters but it had been boiled and then I would boil and chill it again when pitching yeast.

I just use DME now if I need a starter which is rarely since I almost exclusively use dry yeast now.

It’s funny how thing evolve. I used to be an exclusively liquid yeast user.

Denis

1 Like

Yeah, a brewery near where I used to live would give away second runnings to homebrewers any time they did a big beer. I didn’t always brew with it that night, but a good cover and a heat up would keep it protected until the next day

1 Like

Rum barrels are also made from oak typically

I went a bit crazy with my “partigyle”. Of all the yeast I had in stock, only the Kolsch could’ve somehow worked, so I added a pound of dark DME and boiled the wort for 3 hours.
I ended up with 3 gallons at 1.067, which I will ferment fairly warm to see if I can get something similar to a tropical stout. Maybe throw in a vanilla bean or two in the keg :man_shrugging:

It was pretty fun to play around with the leftovers without feeling too bad of possibly ruining a batch haha

2 Likes